The Firm's practice covers all areas relating to employee benefits. This broad practice area involves diverse matters including designing "defined contribution-style" health plans (HRAs, HSAs, & FSAs), assistance with all the benefit acronyms - COBRA, HIPAA, EGTRRA, etc., advising on fiduciary responsibilities, maintaining legal compliance with non-discrimination requirements, and analyzing unusual benefit claims. The Firm focuses on representing employers in labor relations matters where pension or welfare benefits are involved, advising on the federal tax implications of complex benefits-related circumstances, and examining the ERISA status of various compensatory arrangements.
In addition to counseling with clients on employee benefits compliance and transactional matters, the Firm frequently defends ERISA lawsuits.
Clients seek the Firm's confidential legal advice for many purposes, including:
- Transitioning to a new plan document and/or third-party administrator
- Designing, drafting and amending custom summary plan descriptions and plan documents
- Protection during tax and labor audits
- Resolving plan operational problems
- Addressing employee benefit plan matters arising in corporate mergers and acquisitions
- Advice on complying with fiduciary, reporting and tax requirements
- Seeking individualized informal guidance from the IRS and U.S. Department of Labor
- Defending class actions under ERISA
- Obtaining formal rulings such as IRS determination letters and DOL opinion letters
- Representing employers in labor negotiations relating to benefits matters
Advanced Medical Isotopes Corp.
Brown McCarroll LLP
D&L Foundry and Supply
DFI Funding, Inc.
Dade Moeller & Associates, Inc.
Emergency Service Partners, LP
Federation of State Medical Boards
Kadlec Medical Center
Kennewick Public Hospital District
Maloof Sports & Entertainment
Metals Supply Company, Ltd.
Palmer Kazanjian Wohl Hodson, LLP
Pay Plus Benefits, Inc.
StateSide Power, Inc.
Tri-City Orthopaedic Clinic
UHY Advisors, Inc.
United States Department of Energy
Western States Insurance